News

Thumbnail

THE JON BON JOVI SOUL FOUNDATION CELEBRATES OPENING OF THE SOUL KITCHEN IN RED BANK, NJ ON OCTOBER 19

10/19/11
THE COMMUNITY KITCHEN SERVES UP NUTRITIOUS MEALS FOR ALL; ACCEPTS BOTH CASH & VOLUNTEER HOURS AS PAYMENT

(October 19, 2011 – Red Bank, NJ) – Jon Bon Jovi today announced the opening of the JBJ Soul Kitchen in Red Bank, NJ to a crowd that overflowed the gardens and parking lot at the “community kitchen,” which redefines how the issue of hunger can be addressed. With no prices on the menu, the Soul Kitchen serves meals to customers who have earned them through volunteer hours. The Soul Kitchen operates as a program of the Jon Bon Jovi Soul Foundation and is sustained by cash payment from customers who are able to pay the suggested donation (or even a little more).

Joined by local dignitaries, individuals and partnering local non-profit organizations, Jon thanked the Kitchen’s “friends and neighbors” who have assisted in the two-year endeavor to open the permanent location - among them Red Bank Mayor Pasquale Menna, former Mayor Ed McKenna and the President of the Parker Family Health Center, Dr. Eugene Cheslock.

The JBJ Soul Kitchen began serving meals in 2009, utilizing two different pilot locations and assessing the patrons’ needs and response to the model, before renovating an old 1,100 square foot auto-body shop as the Kitchen’s new, permanent location.

“At a time when 1 in 5 households are living at or below the poverty level, and at a time when 1 out of 6 Americans are food insecure, this is a restaurant whose time has come. This is a place based on and built on community – by and for the community,” said Jon Bon Jovi today.

Inspired by the old adage, “teach a man to fish,” diners in need who come to the Soul Kitchen are empowered – they have earned a seat at the table for themselves and their families through volunteer hours at the Kitchen or other local organizations. They are served nutritious culinary dishes by the wait-staff in a lovely restaurant atmosphere with the dignity of having earned their meal. On the other hand, patrons who can afford to dine anywhere are rewarded with not only a delicious meal but with the knowledge that by dining out and leaving the suggested donation, they’ve contributed to their community.

In addition to the Soul Kitchen’s own organic gardens, natural food is being provided by Whole Foods Market Middletown, in partnership with their vendors, many of whom are from New Jersey and the surrounding areas.

By adopting the community kitchen concept, the JBJ Soul Foundation has expanded its efforts - from affordable housing to hunger - as it celebrates its fifth anniversary as a non-profit organization.

HOURS OF OPERATION:
The JBJ Soul Kitchen is currently open from 5-7 Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Address:
207 Monmouth St.
Red Bank, NJ 07701
Reservation line: (732) 842-0900
Learn more: www.jbjsoulkitchen.org

To watch the Live Stream from our JBJ Soul Kitchen Press Conference, please visit the Video section of our website.

JBJ Soul Kitchen on the Today Show (air date: 10/21/2011)

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Related Stories: News, 2011, Projects, New Jersey

69 Comments (Showing 1-10 of 69)

Bugler
    Female
    Status
    Just Joined
    Comments So Far
    Last Updated
    01/30/12
    Posted 3 years ago by Bugler

@teya, that must be pretty cool volunteering there!

myrto56
    Female, 16
    argos, GR
    Status
    Just Joined
    Comments So Far
    Last Updated
    01/06/13
    Posted 3 years ago by myrto56

congratulations for your great job!!!!!!!!!you really help many people!!!!!!!!!

Teya
    Female, 20
    eatontown, NJ
    Status
    listening to japanese music
    Comments So Far
    Last Updated
    08/16/12
    Posted 3 years ago (changed 3 years ago) by Teya

not really. i think the craze is fading. they promoted me to waitress, so im a waitress now!!!!im so happy!!!! sundays are very slow, but thursdays, when im there, it's so-so. also, i think people are too busy christmas shopping to even stop and eat

Rock
    Male, 39
    Melbourne, AU
    Status
    Just Joined
    Comments So Far
    Last Updated
    11/29/11
    Posted 3 years ago by Rock

Hi Teya, Whats been happening? Hows work/ volunteering going? Is it getting crazier, now that the silly season is fast approaching?

Teya
    Female, 20
    eatontown, NJ
    Status
    listening to japanese music
    Comments So Far
    Last Updated
    08/16/12
    Posted 3 years ago by Teya

no no, you did not at all. i just feel bad because i dont live through that kind of situation you explained to me, and i cant do anything to change it. i appreciate you telling me though. and im sure you'd love volunteering at the kitchen. it's fun to work, but it does get REALLY busy >.<

I_LOVE_JBJ
    Female, 34
    SP, BR
    Status
    Just Joined
    Comments So Far
    Last Updated
    11/20/12
    Posted 3 years ago by I_LOVE_JBJ

Unfortunately I do not have time to devote to volunteering, but I try to help in any way I can. I hope not to have left a bad impression on you - just tried to explain my side of the situation. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I would love to work as a volunteer at JBJ Soul Kitchen.

Teya
    Female, 20
    eatontown, NJ
    Status
    listening to japanese music
    Comments So Far
    Last Updated
    08/16/12
    Posted 3 years ago by Teya

i understand. i may not understand completely, but i hear about the world everyday-how people are suffering and need help. what can one person like me do? im trying little by little to help others in any way i can, whether it be volunteering at the soul kitchen or giving someone a shoulder to cry on. i would like to help others, including the ones in Brazil, like you said. i apologize for not understanding what it's like, but i do wish i could help

I_LOVE_JBJ
    Female, 34
    SP, BR
    Status
    Just Joined
    Comments So Far
    Last Updated
    11/20/12
    Posted 3 years ago by I_LOVE_JBJ

You go into deep depression when faced with the Brazilian reality.

Teya
    Female, 20
    eatontown, NJ
    Status
    listening to japanese music
    Comments So Far
    Last Updated
    08/16/12
    Posted 3 years ago by Teya

maybe i dont, i apologize for not having that knowledge. it's not my fault if i did not know that. please dont think anything bad of me for not having that sort of knowledge. im sorry.

I_LOVE_JBJ
    Female, 34
    SP, BR
    Status
    Just Joined
    Comments So Far
    Last Updated
    11/20/12
    Posted 3 years ago by I_LOVE_JBJ

You do not know what is social inequality. The United States is a paradise compared to the country where I live. Brazil is a country full of contrasts.